Concerning Proposal Number One

This is a discussion board set up to talk about the new purposed bylaws being presented for approval to the membership.
THIS FORUM IS LOCKED TO POSTING ANY NEW MESSAGES

Moderators: sagefire, Admin

Concerning Proposal Number One

Postby ShyDavid » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:09 pm

If Dragonfest's operations and functions existed outside of normal and expected human politics, then "electronic 'meetings'" would certainly be an excellent alternative. However, there are many issues that come up among the Board of Directors that can be best resolved face-to-face: it is simple chimpanzee politics, and we evolved (along with our chimpanzee cousins) to work out our conflicts and differences of opinion face-to-face. The Board experiences conflict now and then, as any corportation's Board of Directors does, and that conflict deserves face-to-face resolution.

Also, being physically present shows the rest of the board, and more importantly shows the membership, that that board member is committed to the job. If a Board member cannot attend meetings, or will not attend meetings, confidence in that person decreases--- to the detrement of the board.

Another issue: what lack does the proposed amendment seek to redress? So far the only chief objection I have seen about the by-law as it currently exists is that having Board members live in Colorado gives the Board the patina of nepotism--- an elitism that includes the Colorado Pagan community and excludes, or at least chills, the wider Pagan community. Frankly I reject the notion, but if it is indeed real, or at least perceived by the membership to be real, then I still do not consider it a problem: Dragonfest, though now an International Pagan festival, still exists mostly among Colorado Pagans and it therefore reflects the Colorado Pagan community.

Unless some folks can think of some good reasons for discarding the existing by-law and accepting the proposed by-law, I would be much inclined to vote against the proposed by-law.

I am, by the way, extremely happy that Rob Witte has taken the burden and effort to bring these issues, and the proposed amendments, to this list and also on the Dragonfest Message Forum. He personifies exactly the community spirit that got Dragonfest off the ground and keeps it going. He deserves some applause and not just a few "Thank you's."
ShyDavid

Return to 2005 BYLAWS CHANGE