[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Dragonfest Forums • View topic - Area 5 clothing optional?

Area 5 clothing optional?

This forum is for general discussion of Dragonfest issues or any topics that are not covered by other forums.

Moderators: sagefire, Admin

Area 5 clothing optional?

Postby bad monkey » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 pm

bad monkey

Postby Joseph » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:31 pm

Joseph

Postby Jareth » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:24 pm

Jareth

Postby Joseph » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:43 pm

Joseph

Area 5 Cmapers

Postby Joseph » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Joseph

Postby Jareth » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:11 pm

Jareth

Postby Joseph » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:18 pm

Joseph

Re: Area 5 Cmapers

Postby Emrys » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:30 pm

--Emrys
Emrys

Postby Jareth » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:42 pm

Jareth

Postby Joseph » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:12 pm

Joseph

Postby Jareth » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Jareth

Postby Bryir » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:08 pm

Bryir

Postby Jaz Gordon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:09 pm

Jaz Gordon

Postby Emrys » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:35 pm

Thank you for your response, Joseph. I appreciate that you really are trying to resolve this important issue.

I'm still, however, having trouble understanding some things. For one, I thought were paying customers. In fact, I have been told, by previous Ops and more than one board member that we are CMR's biggest customer. That should make us more than mere guests. We're a significant part of how they pay their bills. Also, even though we are the most number-intensive group they have, we cause less headaches and trouble for the campground than most (if not all) others. Please correct me if my information and/or impressions are wrong.

Setting aside the fact that people's state of dress cannot be seen from across the lake without sophisticated optical technology, I notice you mention the word "legal" as a reason for their decision. Given the fact that there is no anti-nudity law in Colorado with regard to unincorporated parts of the state, I would like to know what that "legal" stuff means.

Without some compelling reason for this rule, suddenly being enforced after all the years we have been there, I am forced to assume that the real reason is religion: they are offended by something that doesn't affect them at all. This sudden need to "approve an exception" for a sacred part of our sacred rituals that we have always taken for granted strikes me as a harbinger of more, and possibly worse, things to come. (Maybe I'm just paranoid -- or a student of history.)

This is not merely annoying, this is offensive. CMR needs to understand that and I don't believe they do. Or at least if they know, they don't care. Why else would they throw this out virtually at the last minute. Given the money we pump into their coffers, especially in these trying economic times, I'm having trouble understanding why they are doing this, and now.

Last, Joseph, let me reiterate that I'm not saying you're responsible. It's just that your posts and responses don't seem to acknowledge the very real anger (and not just from me) over this issue. (And, also, that it's apparently a non-negotiable "done deal" before members who may consider it important even learn about it.) I hope that the Board (or whoever's job it is) will reconsider capitulating to this and let CMR know exactly how we feel about it.

Again, thank you for your response. Your communication is important and appreciated.
--Emrys
Emrys

Postby Joseph » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:28 pm

The analogy of a staying at a friend’s house is a bit of a stretch so let us say you are staying at a hotel instead. Previously, our Hotel use to allow nudity in certain areas for, select guests, such as guest floors, the pool area and the lobby. For very valid business reasons the hotel has decided that this is not really in their best interests for legal reasons (anyone can sue for any reason and lascivious behavior will always trump in any area) and in consideration of the other guests, all of whom are paying customers, so as a courtesy they request that certain areas now require a certain level of clothing.

The Hotel could have gone that other route and say that they were sorry but the special, preferential treatment that we use to offer is not longer valid, and we are simply enforcing a rule we have in place for every other person or event staying with us. It is rather hard to argue against the fair and equitable applications of the rules.

In our case, that did not occur and our vendor has chosen to work with us rather than make a flat, cross the board decision.

The only official event that takes place in the affected area is our Inspiration circle. One of the goals of that circle was not only to provide a magical space but also to allow families comfortable with nudity a special place to go. Inspiration was in a beautiful location and we all dread moving it but that wonderful space needs a new home, because what it bring to the community cannot be measured.

No other scheduled events will be impacted and the retreat will function nearly as normal. I will admit that in some cases travel to those events may require the addition of a robe or a suitable towel.

Just so, we are clear and everyone understands exactly what area we are talking about. The area, formally clothing optional, that will now require beach attire is the length of beachfront space from Inspiration point to the entrance of Freedom Circle (Boy Scout camp). The depth of the affected area is approximately 50 yards from the edge of the road into the forested area or to a point where a nude body cannot be clearly seen, unaided, from the lake. Plans are already in place to clearly mark the area and staff will be on hand to offer a gentle reminder should one be needed.

I do realize that this issue is not so much about the loss of part of the clothing optional area, but about the lost of certain freedoms that we once enjoyed. But at what point does our needs give us the right to impinge on the rights of others? We have a large numbers of vendors that need to service that area from port0o-poties to our ambulance and fire crews. We do and have heard about some of their sightings. If it was just a random naked person or two, I would argue until I was blue in the face for the preservation of that space. Alas, the feedback we have received over the years would make the founding mother of the Hedonist party cringe. Let me tell you there is nothing quite as special as repeated apologizing to a vendor for having to have seen a drunken female trussed up in Japanese rope bondage. Or perhaps those extra fun conversation with the parents and their 3 kids who had the unfortunate chance, not only once but twice, of spying two separate couples doing well…you can only imagine. Those are just the stories that are safe to tell, so when CRM makes a very reasonable request to push back a certain area, they can hardly be faulted.

Did Dragonfest as an organization fail to handle this issue responsibly? It is my personal opinion that we did not. The Board was informed of the request by CRM, looked at the areas that would be affected and then determined what aspects of the retreat would be affected. Communications were planed, written and sent to the printers, all so that this information could be released to our membership. Our annual web edition of the DAC had a complete listing for this issue and is slated for release on March 1st. As I have said CRM is very willing to work with us to ensure that none of our rituals, workshops or other planned events are impacted. At this early data, I believe we have four workshops and two rituals. I chose to move Inspiration circle because I value the impact on our community and do not wish to see a watered down version that does nothing for families nor teach a healthy respect for our bodies. With five months to complete planning for the retreat I still feel that give us adequate time to make any adjustments or request any variances that are needed to ensure everyone’s faith and practices are honored.

We want to make this transition as smooth as possible and encourage everyone to speak their mind, but we also need concrete plans to work with. There is a lot we can do together and in this case the CRM board is our ally not our enemy.

Joseph Davalt
Director of Operations
Joseph

Next

Return to General Discussion